disgrace & glory (part III)

BURNT TO THE GROUND

It was Wednesday evening. My roommate, Nelly and I were doing our own businesses at our hostel apartment. It almost 5.30pm when we heard knocked on our door. Before I could reach the door knob, two familiar guests stepped in. They were looking for me.

“You don’t have any class today? Where’s your room, Jasmine?” she asked me.

I couldn’t utter a word and point my finger to my room. The two ladies were Miss Cordelia, our hostel principle and Miss Jennifer, our facilitator. Miss Jennifer quickly walk to my room and said to Nelly, “Could you please step outside and let me make a quick checking around your room, please.”

“What is this all about, ma’am?” I said in wonder.

Puzzled Nelly walked out of the room and Miss Jennifer shut the door behind her. Miss Cordelia walked to my computer across the living room.

“Is that yours?” she said with her finger pointing to my computer. She browsed through my things lying on the desk next to the PC. My heart just stop beating when she lifted my client’s books, printed articles, letters, and post-it-notes on my PC and held them tight. I instantly catch the meaning to it all.

“Can you show me your computer files, please? I would like to have a look at them,” she said quickly.

I was burnt in silent anger. As I grabbed the mouse, I said in between my breath, “you don’t have to do this. I know what it is all about. It’s about the translation, is it? I did nothing wrong. I have no problem showing you everything I do. I have no problem to co-operate. All you have to do is ask. You really don’t have to do this.”

She remained silent and copied everything I show her to her portable drive. Miss Jennifer appeared from behind and said she found nothing.

“Why are you doing this? Im not a criminal. You can ask me anything. You don’t have to do this,” I said in low deep voice.

She is not satisfied. “What is your name?” she asked Nelly.

“She has nothing to do with this,” I quickly said and shook my head weakly. Oh, my god. She is not involved. “I did everything on my own. Please leave her out of this.”

“Jasmine, don’t interfere. We are not doing this for fun. We are just doing our job. Why are all of you cadets always behaving like this? ” she said to me.

“All of you? Who are you referring to, ma’am, it’s only the two of us in this room,” came my replied. Why do they always generalize us in such a way?

“Ma’am, please understand. You came into my house, you said nothing, rummaging into my things, it’s my privacy… and you won’t listen to me. This is very hard for me to take. I did nothing wrong. Who made you do this? ” I said. I almost begged.

They said nothing.

“We can’t tell you. We are not allowed to. Please understand that we are just doing our job!” she replied in a persuaded voice.

I was speechless for a moment. I said, “but who? You must tell me. ”

No comments: